Monday, January 24, 2011

Pulling our Home to Florida

Our departure began with a temperature of 6 degrees and the snow was falling as we attempted to dig the Sunset Trail (ST) out of its winter storage and get on the road. The hook up went smoothly enough, but then the fun started. We had lowered the tongue jack down on a concrete block. To our dismay, when we raised the tongue jack, we could not move the concrete block. It was frozen to the ‘frozen ground’. Mary Ellen and I spent a half hour trying to dislodge it. Finally, after using a shovel, hammer, and an ice pick, we dislodged and removed the concrete block.

Pulling the ST out of its snowy and cold storage wasn’t exactly a fun-filled experience. After several ‘outstandingly clever’ maneuvers, we managed to get the ST moving toward the ‘gated exit’. We drove to our favorite ‘fuel center’ and checked the air pressure in our tires. Once this chilly task was completed we were finally ready to head south.

Things went well for the first 65 miles, when a passing car gave us the dreaded signal. As they drove alongside us, the passenger began pointing toward the ground and mouthing tire! Oh yes, we had another flat tire! We called roadside assistance and WAITED. Apparently they decided the best person to remove the flattened rubber and replace it with our spare was located in DALLAS! Actually, it just seemed like he had come to INDIANA from DALLAS. Two and one half hours later we were again ready to roll!!

I’m glad we had planned to only go as far as our son Dan’s house. We had planned to take Dan, Jill and their two girls out to dinner. We now opted for ‘carry in’. Dan had checked various tire retailers to see who had a replacement tire to give us a much needed ‘spare tire’. A ‘Wal-Mart super center’ or as Dan had dubbed it ‘Wal-Mart super slow’ had the tire we needed. We decided to wait until Sunday morning to pick it up. Once we remounted the spare we ventured out with a stop at one of our favorite KOA’s in Bowling Green, KY. The owners, Paul and Susan are great people. Paul is a real character. They are the perfect hosts. If you want a great place to stay in KY, make a stop at the KOA in and tell Paul I sent you.

Of course the day wouldn’t be complete if we didn’t have another minor crisis. When we parked at the KOA, I lowered the tongue jack to prop up the front end. This went fine, but when I began to lower the front a little, the tongue jack froze in place. It wouldn’t move! I started the truck thinking perhaps my 12 volt battery had died, but it still didn’t do anything. I stopped at the office and talked with Paul. He told me about a friend who could certainly fix it. He was very reasonable. However, Paul said that he had a couple ideas. I asked him for a 30 amp fuse. Paul gave me a pack of 4 fuses (cost was $2.50). He didn’t charge me anything! He said it was his way of giving me a discount! As we were leaving the office with the intention of having his friend come out in the morning, he added that sometimes tapping it with a rubber mallet breaks it loose. He was ready to give me a hammer, but I said I had one. When we returned to the ST, Mary Ellen tapped or rapped it a few times and it worked! Paul saved me a few dollars and all it took was a rap with a mallet. By the way, when we left in the morning, I gave Paul the fuses back. He didn’t want to take them. He promised me a discount next time!

We left Bowling Green at 10 a.m. and headed for Point Mallard in Decatur, AL. We’d been here once before, but somehow we managed to get lost. It is about 6 miles off I 65, but signage is non-existent. Sorta like my brain (non existent). It was 54 degrees when we arrived. Kinda rainy, but nice. Up till now, I hadn’t bothered to hook up the water. Since it was so nice I decided to do it. I turned it on, and I heard Mary Ellen YELL, “we have a flood”. Water was coming into the room with the bunk beds by the rear door. Before I could turn off the water, all our floors only required mopping! We hadn't planned to clean until we got to Florida. Thanks to the flood we can cross that one off the list. The problem seems to be the hot water heater. We sopped up the water and decided to wait until we get to Florida to have someone check out the water heater. I have a feeling something froze, expanded and busted something.

Flat tire on day one, tongue jack on day two, and now the water heater! What will tomorrow bring??? Oh, I forgot to mention that we just heard there is a WINTER STORM WATCH for tomorrow!! I don’t want to think about what that means.....

jim

No comments:

Post a Comment