Saturday, April 9, 2011

Leg #1

Believe it or not we had an uneventful day 1. We stopped for lunch at a McDonald's along I 65. It was the most crowded and chaotic McDonald's I've ever been in. The chaos was created due to absolutely no system for dealing with the many customers. We did decide to stay and wait. I made the mistake of ordering a 'senior coffee'. They hadn't made any coffee. I don't know if the 90 degree temperature had some influence on this decision. Ya think?

The only excitement occurred on Rt 41N on our way to I 65. Two morons driving SUV's decided it was time to pass the Sunset Trail. Mind you I was going the speed limit (55 mph). They made the move to pass with a double yellow line. As the first SUV came alongside me, there was a very large 16 wheeler heading toward him. I hit the brakes. If I hadn't he would have been hit head on driven (by the semi) right into me. The second SUV dove in behind me. I'm sure he almost rear-ended me as I went from 55 to 35 in a matter of seconds. These were the only two "certifiable morons" that we encountered. Thank God.

During the drive to Montgomery the temperature rose to 92 degrees! This broke a record held for 113 years! Thank God for air conditioning. This was the only time since we headed south that I was actually longing for the chilly north. When we arrived at Montgomery South RV Park the temperature had dropped to a MILD 87 degrees. This campground is in 'the middle of nowhere'. None of the sites have any trees. We came back here because of what the owner did for us the last time we were here. Mary Ellen lost her wallet, but didn't notice till we were 3 hours up the road. She called the campground and told them about her wallet. She didn't know whether she had lost it at the campground or somewhere else. Within a few minutes the owner, Jim Thornton, called back and said they had found it on the ground. He asked if Mary Ellen wanted him to count the money. He did, and told her he counted $296. He asked if he could send her a check. She agreed. A couple days after we got home, the check arrived along with her wallet. That kind of honesty certainly deserves a return visit.

We did have to change sites after we had hooked up the water, put the slider out, and connected the electricity. For some reason we kept flipping breakers. Jim helped with the move and apologized for the inconvenience. I would still come back here in the future. Tomorrow, on to Decatur and the scene of my "incident with the ladder"...

No comments:

Post a Comment