Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 2: Texas T

We arrived at the Texas T RV Park at 3 p.m. yesterday. Day two included a couple 'near death' experiences just to spice things up. No tires exploded, so that was good, but two incidents had us holding our breath while standing on the brakes. There was a modular home (oversize load) to the right of me about 25 feet ahead. Suddenly this house was cutting in front of me into my lane. There wasn't an opening to my left so I hit the brakes. It seems a small trailer lost its load right in front of the house thus causing his sudden appearance in my lane. I came withing 5 feet of having the house in our front seat!

It must have been our day for scares. About an hour after incident #1, the same type of thing occurred. A woman in a jeep was to my right driving on the shoulder at a slow rate of speed. Without any signal, she suddenly veered to her left and into my lane. I laid on the horn and started to brake. Apparently she swerved to avoid a tire that was on the shoulder ahead of her. I have no idea why she didn't just stop and wait for my lane to open up, but she didn't. Luckily for her she quickly swerved to her right once she was past the tire. There wouldn't have been any way for me to stop if she hadn't. Needless to say we were both glad to park for the nite.

I must apologize for bad mouthing the Birmingham South RV Park. After we left there and were on the road for a couple hours, Mary Ellen was looking for her small coin purse. She keeps her "gambling money" in it. We checked all over the truck and in the trailer, but no sign of the coin purse. Mary Ellen called the campground, told them what sight we were on, and asked them if they would check the ground and see if they could find the purse. One half hour later they called and said YES they had found it. Normally, Mary Ellen will stay behind when I pull out from a site, just to make sure something like that doesn't happen. This time we forgot. Anyhow, Mary Ellen asked the lady if there was any cash in it. The woman said there was "a wad of cash". Mary Ellen asked her if she would count it. The woman did, and said there was $192! The owner of the Birmingham South RV Park, Jim called back and asked if it would be alright if he wrote us a check for $192 and mailed that along with the purse. We agreed with this solution. So "hats off" to the honest management & employees of the Birmingham South RV Park. This made me very sorry for my low rating of the campground. Jim will be getting a restaurant 'gift card' from Mary Ellen when we get home.

Today will take us as far as Elizabethtown, KY and the Crossroads RV Park. Today looks like a cloudy day. There are supposed to be thunderstorms and wind. Sounds like a fun drive. Maybe today will be incident free.

Till next time, "A gourmet restaurant in Elkhart is one where you leave the tray on the table when you finish eating."

jim

No comments:

Post a Comment