Monday, January 18, 2010

DAY THREE

We decided to stay another day in Bowling Green. The owners are great. Paul and Susan have to be the friendliest owners we've ever met at a campground. Last night we stayed hooked up. We were planning to leave today. Mom and I went up to the store at the campground looking for some milk. Paul explained that at this time of year they didn't keep any milk since traffic is minimal until spring. Mary Ellen told Paul we'd get some in the morning since we didn't want to unhook. Paul told us to take his truck and go a mile up the road to the convenience store! What? Did I hear him offer us his truck? Yes! Mary Ellen said she didn't want to take his truck. Paul said he'd take Mary Ellen to the store if it was OK with me. I said sure, and I haven't seen her since...just kidding! When she returned with the milk we hung around and talked with Paul & Susan. We decided to stay another night since we really aren't in any hurry, and I'm glad we did. We awakened this morning to find one of our tires on the trailer FLAT! The 'curse of Diane'? (sorry it's an inside joke).

We decided to unhook and take the tire to be repaired. No, we didn't remove the tire. We called Good Sam Road Service. A guy from Westside Towing was at our campground in 15 minutes, removed the tire and put on our spare. Free of course, though I gave him a $5 tip. We got the tire repaired and remounted at Sikes Tire. Nice bunch of "good old boys". Since we were out and about we filled the gas tank, stopped at Kroger and of course found a Panera

Speaking of Paul, which I did in paragraph one, I forgot to mention my first meeting with him. I asked if they had any valve stem caps. He said no, but he thought he might have some in his truck. He came back and handed me three. When I asked how much I owed, he said don't worry about it. This is Paul and Susan's first year in Bowling Green, but they aren't strangers to campground management. If they keep doing the things we've witnessed, they should be full most of the time and have numerous loyal customers. I know a couple owners who could take a lesson from Paul & Susan.

We are planning to re-hook and head to Decatur, AL tomorrow. The next stop has a lot to live up to. Once you've had your expectations exceeded, merely being satisfied doesn't quite cut it.

I failed to tell you why I was asked to speak at the GEAPS convention in Wichita, KS in February. They told me it was my warm personality...if you look up WARM, it means 'not so hot'!!

Till next time.

JIM

No comments:

Post a Comment