Monday, January 25, 2010

OUR WINTER HOME

We arrived at the Emerald Beach RV Park yesterday. We're in site 16 until February 1st when we move to our permanent site (11). Even though it rained last nite and the nite before, we managed to get unhooked, rehooked, and unhooked again with not a drop of rain. Maybe our luck is changing. Our luck hasn't changed regarding our slideout. The motor keeps hesitating. We have to wait a minute or two when bringing it in or out. Then the motor will kick in again and move it a foot or so. I have this fear that waiting for a minute or two won't continue to work. We'll have to have someone take a look at it I guess. That's always a costly venture.

Navarre has opened a coffee shop right down the street from Emerald Beach. It's great, with wi-fi and everything. They've been open for nine months and doing very well. Prior to this opening, Panera was the closest place where you could get online, hangout, and drink coffee, but Panera is 11 miles from us. The new shop is called 'Higher Ground'. I have a feeling I'll be over there often. Of course there is the Santa Rosa Library, but for some reason they don't serve coffee. Mary Ellen and I stopped at the library today and she got a couple books. I'm back here now doing this blog. Very nice library and only a mile from the campground.

We made our first visit to Wal Mart this morning. It's only one mile from us. Mary Ellen did her initial food shopping. I sat at the McDonalds and drank coffee while she shopped. Monday morning must be the time to shop. I've never seen a Wal Mart as quiet as this one was today. Not very good for 'people watching', but great for shopping.

My two favorite teams won yesterday. The Saints and Colts will meet in the Super Bowl. I hate to root against the Saints, but my loyalty to the Colts and Peyton Manning outweighs my love of Brees and the Saints. By the way, how stupid is it to have the Pro Bowl a week before the Super Bowl? Maybe I'm missing something here, or maybe they should do away with the Pro Bowl altogether. They never fill the stadium. And with perhaps 20 super stars sitting it out due to the Super Bowl, what's the attraction. Like I said, I'm probably missing the point.

I'm still putting some finishing touches on my Wichita presentation. Of course I will be doing that right up to the nite before. The way I look at it you never truly finish preparing for something like this. Don't know if any of you are old enough to remember Bishop Fulton J. Sheen. He had a weekly TV show during the 1950's and 60's. He was a great orator with a fine sense of humor. I remember him being asked how he prepared for his 30 minute weekly show. He said he outlined his remarks each day prior to showtime and threw away his previous outline. Just before showtime he threw away his final outline, got in front of the cameras and started speaking. For some reason at the age of 10 or 12, his show prep fascinated me. I try to follow a similar approach to preparing for a presentation such as Wichita. The only difference is I will have two hours and ten minutes "in front of the camera" so to speak. I don't think there are any cameras, but they are expecting 500 people!

It's a very sunny day today, but only 60 degrees. It would be alot nicer without the 20 mph winds rolling in from the Gulf. Oh well, no snow! Well I better get back to Emerald Beach. There a few things I want to get done before dinner. Till next time, always remember "there is nothing wrong with teenagers that reasoning with them won't aggravate."

jim

No comments:

Post a Comment